RTU Installation, Service & Repair
What are Roof Top Units (RTU)?
Rooftop units, also called RTU, are an efficient way to cool large spaces. RTUs can be individual components or rooftop packaged units. Rooftop packaged units are commonly used in light commercial applications and contain all of the components needed to cool the interior of the building including:
- Air-cooled condenser
- Expansion device
Whether you need RTU installation, regular maintenance or a service call, Abel Heating and Cooling is here to help. We keep our eyes open for opportunities to help you increase energy efficiency, save money, and improve operations in your commercial space, home or church building.
Benefits of Rooftop Unit HVAC Systems
There are many benefits of rooftop unit HVAC systems. Rooftop units offer a more precise means of heating and cooling a building. They’re energy efficient, which will save you money on energy costs. And, your building maintenance team will appreciate the ease and convenience of performing routine maintenance such as filter replacement on rooftop units.
Other benefits of rooftop unit HVAC systems include:
- Space savings – rooftop units free up space for parking, loading, and landscaping around the building
- Security – vandals and thieves cannot access rooftop HVAC units
- Flexible – new units can be added, reconfigured, or moved as needed
- Quieter – most rooftop units are quieter than traditional HVAC units
RTU HVAC System Maintenance & Repair
Rooftop units need regular maintenance to run efficiently. Cottonwood filters, for instance, can reduce the amount of debris sucked into the air intakes in your rooftop units and help them run more efficiently. We service all types of rooftop units from large, complex systems to small single units on church buildings. Abel Heating and Cooling has over 70 years of experience and a great staff of skilled, friendly, professional technicians to serve rooftop units for all types of buildings.
Common Issues Impacting Rooftop Units:
There are several common issues impacting rooftop units. At Abel Heating and Cooling, our technicians are trained to look for these and some less obvious issues to pinpoint the problem and get it fixed, fast.
Common RTU issues include:
- Failure of HVAC Economizers: Economizers allow cool air to flow into the building to improve cooling efficiency, reduce CO2, and freshen the interior air. Sensor and damper failure may lead to the system using anywhere from 14 to 40 percent more energy than it should during proper Economizer operation.
- Improper or incorrect refrigerant levels: Too low or too high refrigerant levels can lead to inefficient HVAC operation and abnormal system pressure readings.
- Airflow problems: If airflow is restricted in any way, certain rooms may appear warmer, and air may fail to circulate in specific areas of the building. Damaged or blocked dampers, dirty or frozen coils, and clogged air filters can all lead to airflow problems.
- Thermostat problems: Improperly set thermostats can lead to excessive cooling or fan usage.
- Improperly calibrated (or bad) sensors: Rooftop HVAC systems use a variety of sensors to monitor carbon dioxide, humidity, temperature, occupancy, system pressure and more. If one or more sensors isn’t calibrated properly or malfunctions, the result is poor energy efficiency.
How Long Do Rooftop Units Last?
Depending on the unit, how often it is used, and how well it is maintained, rooftop units can last anywhere from 5 to 15 years. Regular maintenance from qualified technicians may extend the life of your rooftop unit and help it maintain energy efficiency.
When Does a Rooftop Unit Need to Be Replaced?
There are some telltale signs that a rooftop unit needs to be replaced.
- Age: In general, as units age, they may become less efficient. It may be harder to find replacement parts. And, at some point, it becomes more expensive to repair a unit than to replace it.
- Energy usage: Newer units often feature energy-saving updates that may make it worthwhile to replace a unit to save on energy costs.
- Operational issues: Systems that constantly break down or experience malfunctions are trying to tell you something – they need to be replaced.
What Type of RTU Brands Do You Carry?
Each of our technicians is trained on multiple RTU HVAC brands, including Carrier, Lennox, Aprilaire, Goodman, Lochinvar, Payne and Slant/Fin. Our technicians can diagnose, fix and repair almost any RTU issue they encounter. Please call Abel Heating and Cooling today for an estimate on your RTU HVAC system needs.
"Out of 4 HVAC companies that we dealt with during the -30 degree cold snap and our furnace breaking down, Abel far exceeded them all! All of their staff are friendly, understanding, and knowledgeable. They were upfront about pricing, arrived quickly, and were very pleasant to work with! We definitely recommend their services and will use them again!"
– Christine Bluhm
"Great service! Responded promptly on a VERY cold day. Identified the source of the problem, made necessary repair, AND explained what had happened. Will keep their contact information close and am happy to recommend them!"
– David Rubenstein
“As a facilities manager, I have real peace of mind knowing Fred is only a phone call away. He keeps our equipment in top condition, solves any equipment problems and works with me to keep our costs down. I can strongly recommend Fred and ABEL Heating and Cooling to any company if they value peace of mind in the mechanical operations of their facility.”
- Harold M
“The landlord had two different service companies look at the problem. Their solution was to add equipment for a cost to American Express of approximately $10,000. This was not an acceptable solution. Upon completion of ABEL Heating and Cooling’s detailed site analysis, it was presented to us that a simple modification would solve the problem vs. adding equipment. The recommendation from ABEL Heating and Cooling worked and saved American Express $8,000 on this one issue.”
- Joe Swanson – American Express Real Estate