A mistake many people make is to keep their air conditioner until it completely stops working. It seems like this saves money by getting the most life out of the unit, but in fact the opposite is true. When you consider the expense of ongoing repairs, inefficient cooling, and missing work to meet a repair mechanic you realize you’re actually spending more money in the long term. Add the inconvenience of sweltering evenings or weekends while waiting on the repairs and you realize there are advantages to preemptively replacing your air conditioning unit before it becomes an utter necessity.
If the unit is running more than it used to and yet the house simply isn’t cooling down to the same level of comfort, the unit is running inefficiently. It’s time for either maintenance or a repair, and it’s a good idea to consider the value of a new unit.
There is the additional advantage that if you replace your unit before it completely stops working you can schedule it to suit your timeframe instead of having to stop everything for an emergency replacement. There are a few signs that it may be time to go ahead and replace your air conditioner even if it seems to still be cooling.
- The typical expected life of an air conditioning unit is about ten years. There is more to this figure than you may realize, as it doesn’t suggest that most units break down after that amount of time, but because of technology advances a new unit will likely save money by operating more efficiently.
- If your home is too humid, your air conditioner is not working properly.
- It should do more than just cool the air, but treat it as well.
- A noisy air conditioner is a sign that something is not working properly.
- You can assume you’re paying too much in extra power and will likely have a major breakdown soon.
- If some rooms are too hot while others are too cold you likely have a problem with the ductwork or an air conditioner that is not providing a steady flow, thus the conditioned air is only making it to certain areas.
If you think your air conditioner may not be working properly, check with ABEL Heating and Cooling for a professional technician to assess the situation and make a recommendation according to your needs. We service commercial and residential buildings with a specialty in church HVAC needs.